Did you know that one in five drivers have never checked their tyres? To mark Tyre Safety Month, Halfords is making sure that everyone understands the importance of tyre maintenance.
Tyres are the only point of contact between your vehicle and the road, and their condition directly affects your safety.
Many people may not realise that the average lifespan of tyres is only around six years, regardless of the mileage driven, and this lifespan can decrease further depending on driving conditions, such as potholes or accidental bumps.
Why tyre maintenance matters:
- Tyre Lifespan: On average, tyres have a lifespan of about 6 years. Beyond this, the rubber can start to degrade, leading to reduced performance and safety concerns.
- Tread Depth: Check the tread depth regularly. If it’s less than 1/16 of an inch, it’s time for a replacement. You can use the “20p test” to gauge this – insert a 20p into the tread groove, and if you can see the Queen’s head, it’s time for new tyres!
- Irregular Wear: Inspect your tires for uneven wear patterns. This could indicate alignment issues or improper tyre inflation.
- Cracks or Bulges: Look for cracks, bulges, or bubbles on the tyre sidewalls. These can be signs of tyre damage and may require immediate attention.
- Loss of Tyre Pressure: Frequent loss of tyre pressure can be a sign of a slow leak or damage to the tire.
- Vibrations: If you experience unusual vibrations while driving, it might be due to tyre balance or other tyre-related issues.
- Age: Even if your tyres have good tread, if they are older than six years, consider replacing them due to potential rubber degradation.
To keep you and your loved ones safe on the road, tyres should be checked regularly – and they should be replaced if necessary.
Neglecting tyre maintenance can lead to reduced traction, handling, and braking performance, especially in adverse weather conditions as we approach darker nights in the winter.
During Tyre Safety Month 2023, Halfords is offering free tyre checks and there is an exclusive discount during October where you can get up to 15% off two or more selected tyres.